Thursday, August 6, 2009

Simply Eloquent...

It’s still so unreal to me. The sites that we are visiting are not simply ruins, but places where my ancestors lived and thrived. While walking through their burial grounds and observing their biographies on the walls, I could sort of feel their presence. It wasn’t a ghost like presence, but more of an inspirational presence. A presence that let me know that I have to succeed and aspire towards greatness because they have laid the groundwork for me and quite frankly, there is no other option. Being in that atmosphere, allowed me to reflect on my life and realize that there is a bigger picture. I have affirmed that my purpose in life is to propel social change and I have to fight against the social injustices that continue to bind black people to perpetual servitude. Realizing that my mindset has matured, I couldn’t help but think of the Eloquence of the Scribe. Ayi Kwei Armah notes “with insights from the ages, courage from the beloved ancestors, and clear-eyed observation of a present reality, the creative soul can go to work” (Scribes, 274). Egypt has allowed me to truly become conscious of my identity and through this opportunity; I fervently believe that I can change the world.

Yours in the Struggle,
Havian Nicholas

No comments: