Wednesday, August 11, 2010

As we Pursue Change

As we begin our journey to Ancient Kemet, I was unsure of what laid ahead. After 6 days of site visits, lectures and readings, covering centuries upon centuries of rich history, I could only begin to attempt to absorb it all. How could I go back to my family, university, and nation with this abundance of new knowledge and pour the truth back into the masses. I finally stumbled upon the something that was in front of me for weeks. In our travel packets /reading there is the Teaching of Ptah Hotep. Which reads,

“Don’t be proud of your knowledge. Take counsel with the ignorant as well as the wise.” . . . .Good discourse is more hidden than green stone, yet may be found among the maids at the grindstones. “

Coupled with the corresponding lecture I learned that Ptah Hotep strongly lived by the concept of the Medu. The Medu stood for the staff of old age, something sturdy to pass on to the next generation. Basically the strength of a legacy: if you pass on this truth, this truth will make the next generation live, therefore battling against the fear and reality of non-existence.

While reading this material and learning about the Medu I was reminded of a poem I once learned, which could aid me in the way in which I could create My MEDU, or strong legacy by passing on the truth.

“When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.”


No comments: