Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Egypt: Embracing the Unknown

Pyramids, hieroglyphics, desert, unbearable heat, pharaohs. These are the first things that enter my mind when I think of Egypt. As the days dwindled down to our departure day, for some reason so did my anxiousness about the trip. At certain times I just did not feel like going through all the preparations to get there. If I had my way I would simply snap my fingers in order to avoid a 9.5 hour plane ride. On the other hand, all of this changed when I physically started the trip. The excitement of entering this beautiful, historical place with the purpose of enhancing my knowledge not only about the place itself, but also about its history and my ancestors’ history brought about a feeling synonymous to that of a child’s first day of school-curious about your surroundings, possibly frightened by the unknown, but at the same time, invigorated by the fact that you are discovering things-answers to questions you may have been subconsciously been wondering and secrets people seem to know but intentionally leave you out of. By the time I got off the plane, it was established: This is going to be the best trip of my life.

No comments: