Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Jewel Within

The flight had been long and tiresome. I spent the majority of the 9 hours resting in preparation for what was to come. Only a moment before landing, I had awaken to behold a sight so beautiful, so grand. As I peered out of the small window of the airplane all I could see where the desert sands. I had arrived in Cairo, the Land of the Pharaohs, the land of my ancestors. It was difficult to contain my excitement. We settled into our hotel, across from the Pyramids of Giza. Yes! There were Pyramids in my front yard!!

The following day we journeyed south of Cairo to Memphis, "Place of the ka of Ptah", also known as Mennefer. Memphis was the early capital of the first nome of Lower Kemet. From this point, we visited the Sakkara step pyramids. The first standing stone structure designed by Imhotep, and the Step Pyramid of Djoser, were a sight to behold. We then made our way to one of the Seven Wonders of the the Ancient World, the Khufu, Khafre, and Men-ka-ra pyramids. They were indeed ruins, but still quite beautiful. To imagine that the surface of these structures where once had a smooth and shiny limestone casing like glass is beyond belief. As I climbed the Great Pyramid, I couldn't help but marvel at the intellect, artistic vision, spirit, and drive of our people. I was elated to have the opportunity to enter the Second Pyramid. The thought of being able to enter such an extraordinary and breathtaking monument never entered my mind before now. Next stop: the Sphinx!! There are no words to describe this statue as momentous as its beauty. To gaze upon its face, is to affirm that the ancient Egyptians where indeed black!


We had seen what many only see in books and on television in one day. I need time to process and reflect on it all. It was a great way to end a long day of exploration.

On our third day, we visited the Citadel of Sala El-Din, the mosque which served as the burial site for Muhammad Ali. Afterward, we made our way to the Egyptian Museum. Before entering Dr. Carr led us libations and we were able to pay homage to our ancestors, whose belongs we were about to view. I thought about my family at home, and all of those who had gone home to meet their Creator. I wished they had an opportunity to experience what I was, walk through the sands of time, and feel their spirit move from the sheer glory of our people, kings and queens, our ancestors, and realize the magnificent of themselves and aspire to greatness. The museum held only what could be considered a fingernail of our history, much of it was still lost within the sands, scattered around the world, and destroyed long ago. still it was too much to take in in one day. Perhaps the best part of the museum was the Royal Mummies Hall!! I looked directly in the face of my ancestors. Amazing!!! Never before had i felt such a powerful sense of purpose, and empowerment. I come from a long line of kings and queens, pharaohs, a "great house"!!! Awesome is my heritage.


We arrived in Aswan. Although I was exhausted from the intense sun and heat (which was well into the 100's), suffered from a minor stomach sickness (which put a damper on my adventurous spirit with food!) and had only been here for a short time, it has been an experience like no other. As I laid in my bed, I imagined what Kemet was like in ancient times, the smells, the sounds, the life. I could not wait until the next day.

August 7th, was a rather short day in comparison. We saw the High Dam in Aswan, the Unfinished Tenkenu (Oblisk). It was unfinished due to its acquired natural fault, the crack running partially down the middle of its structure. There are 29 know ancient Egyptian oblisks that survived. Of course the Washington Monument could never stand against the eminence of these structures. Our ancestors where indeed "in the front" of such makings. We sailed to the Island of Pilak to visit the Temple of Isis or Auset. It was absolutely gorgeous!! Despite graffiti from numerous invaders who only wanted to desecrate and claim what did not rightful belong to them, After viewing the parameter of this ancient ruin, I was able to steal away to have but a brief moment to myself. At this moment time seem to pause. As I looked around the temple and reflected on the amazement of it all, I felt that there was nothing on this earth, nothing in my lifetime that I could not accomplish. I was promised to greatness from birth, it was in my blood, and I longed to fulfill that destiny, to continue what had already begun.

The day ends here, but the journey is far from over.


3 comments:

Nathan said...

Hope you are having a great time Love Dad.

Nathan said...

Teach the Gleaton side how to blog. LOL

Unknown said...

Your dad got jokes Natondra but anyway that's amazing i'm happy that you got the chance to experience something other's only dream about...so proud of you